Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sustainability: Re-usable bags

I just love bags. I love getting funky looking bags and thrift stores and using them to carry home my wholesome food/library books/mail in from town. Re-used bags have a style with which boring brown paper bags just can't compare.

This holiday season my sister sent me two super cool bags that she crocheted out of used plastic bags. I have found these bags to actually be quite magical. They seemingly hold everything - sort of like a Mary Poppins bag, and are incredibly strong. This is a great use for all of that incredibly annoying plastic. I highly applaud the various countries and grocery stores who have stopped carrying plastic bags. Until they are gone for good though, you can read an article my sister wrote about these bags and learn to make your own here.

When I was at the local co-op near Seattle I bought a few of these nifty bags for putting vegetables in. You could also easily make these yourself by buying a similar meshy fabric and making a simple bag. We used to wash out our plastic bags for fruits and veggies, but these are much more practical for keeping things together.

No comments:

Post a Comment