Saturday, March 15, 2008

Green Eggs and Ham

We often eat eggs for breakfast as we are not really into grains or sugars. Lately we've been adding a special ingredient to our eggs that have revolutionized our breakfast. Dandelion pesto!

In the spring and fall I make as much dandelion pesto as I can get my hands on. We eat lots and freeze the rest. High in minerals like potassium, calcium, iron and phosphorous, and high in vitamins like A, B, C, and D this is a wonderful spring tonic. Dandelion, (or pissenlit - the French word for dandelion meaning piss in bed) is a strong diuretic, but it won't rid your body of potassium like caffeine often will. When we are not adding it to eggs we often eat it as a dip with carrots or bell peppers, or spread it liberally on our meats and salmon.

To make dandelion pesto, gather or buy young leaves from your local health food store. I use a bunch, which is about the size of a silver dollar when holding them by the bottom stems. I place a little olive oil in the blender, add a few leaves, blend, add a little more leaves then oil until it's a good consistency. I then add crushed garlic and salt and blend. At this point I want it to be a little on the oily side. I take it out from the blender and add grated parmesan or romano. I think this is a pretty standard way of making pesto, just substituting the dandelion.

When the chickweed is up, we'll make pesto out of that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment