Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Strength Training Equipment: Homemade Dip and Chin Belt

Chin ups are the king of upper body exercises.  They activate the muscles of the hands and forearms, triceps, biceps, deltoids, pectorals, upper back, and abdomen.  No other upper body movement taxes this much muscle mass.

By the way, Drew Baye has a great article on how and why to perform chin ups instead of kipping pull ups.

Parallel bar dips have similar utility.  They activate the muscles of the forearms, triceps, deltoids, pectorals, latissimus dorsi, and abdomen.

Men who train these exercises regularly will soon develop the ability to use more than body weight for multiple repetitions.  To add weight one can use a so-called dipping belt.

You can purchase a belt from numerous sources, spending anywhere from $20 to $100.  However, I use one I made myself for less than $10 using materials I purchased at a hardware store:  150 pound test chain, pipe insulation, 2 carabiners, and duct tape.

I followed the procedure in this video (BTW I did not make this video).  Do it yourself and save.

No comments:

Post a Comment