Thursday, August 25, 2011

Some Recent Meals

 This is a so-called 'century egg,' a Chinese invention.  They take raw duck eggs, pack them in in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime, and straw or rice hulls for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing.
 When you crack it open, you find that the white has turned gelatinous and black.
 They have a strong flavor.  I cut them into slices like below.  Inside you find that the yolk has turned blue-green, and semi-solid.  The alkalinity of the curing materials above raises the pH of the egg to 9 or more, causing changes in the egg proteins.
 I cut the egg into slices and put a few along with slices of an omelet on top of this miso soup that contained bok choy, bean sprouts, onions, and other vegetables.
On May 30 I had the plate below.  Egg omelet, two types of sweet potato, white potato, and a combination of steamed Asian greens.
On August 12, I had the meal below.  Two grass-fed beef burgers, one raw and one cooked, about 8 ounces total.  On the cooked burger, we had a sauce Tracy created from blended tofu and spices that made it look a lot like cheese.  I had a large sweet potato, a large ear of fresh corn, some cooked kale and onions, and a green salad with quick-pickled cucumbers that Tracy made atop.  To finish I had one of those quarters of a small watermelon.


 On August 22 my first feeding consisted of this bowl of fruit and nuts.  It contained a half banana, 9 grapes, an apricot, half a pint of raspberries, a plum, a quarter-cup of cashews, a quarter-cup of almonds, an a couple of tablespoonfuls of coconut flakes.


 A couple hours later, I had the plate below with about 4 ounces of leftover cod, a pile of kabocha winter squash, steamed kale with some carrot raisin salad atop, half an avocado, and some cole slaw.  The two photos have different dates because it changes date some time in the mid morning (apparently I didn't set it correctly and don't want to take time to fix it).
Later that same day I had  two plates of food.  The first has a ~4 ounce turkey burger under that pile of wilted onions (seasoned with cumin), more kale, slaw, olives, avocado, and green salad.  I ate this while waiting for our potatoes to steam.  Then I had the second plate:  another turkey burger and onions, and two steamed red potatoes with black pepper.  Then I had the bowl of blueberries and banana with coconut milk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment