Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Meals: Budget Primal Fish Head Soup

The local Asian market sells a lot of fish, and since traditional Asians eat every edible part, they sell fish heads for only $1.99 per pound.  I picked up a salmon head:

Salmon head and dried alaria seaweed.
I put the head in our crock pot with the alaria seaweed that I get from Larch Hanson's Maine Seaweed Company, then covered it with filtered water, added a little lemon juice, and set it to cook on low.  I left it cook for more than 12 hours, during which time the entire head, bones and all, dissolved.

After the head dissolves, I usually add winter squash, preferably kabocha, to the soup, but we had baked acorn squash to go with the meal so I only added onion, garlic, ginger, red chili pepper flakes, and salt.  It may not look pretty but its chock full of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and omega-3 fats:

Salmon head and seaweed soup
We ate this soup with hot Italian chicken sausage, acorn squash (butter added), and Chinese broccoli stir-fried in lard from pastured pigs:
We enjoyed mixing the sausage, greens, and squash into the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment