Thursday, September 25, 2008

Herbal Lip Balm for Cold Sores

This has been one of those months for me - just insanely busy and a little stressful. Luckily my body lets me know when it starts to get run down by this little tingly red spot on my bottom lip - the dreaded cold sore.

I am currently assistant teaching at the Institute of Structural Medicine. Trainings here run 16 days and each day is a 12 hour day. I've got four more days to go and I'd rather do it without this big blob on my lip. When I was younger I had no problem taking prescription medication to control cold sore outbreaks. (Oh the power of Acyclovir.) I have a few problems with acyclovir - namely the side effects which include:

nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or headache, hair loss, dizziness, fatigue, skin rash, anorexia, leg pain, medication taste and sore throat


I'll take a cold sore over hair loss thank you very much!

I've experimented with several more herbal remedies, but lately my favorite is a Cold Sore Care Herbal Lip Balm I made up this summer. To make it I infused St. John's Wort flowers in coconut oil, lemon balm in olive oil, and added alcohol extracts of both of these and some drops of tea tree oil for good measure.

As reported I started getting a cold sore two days ago and at the first sign I repeatedly applied the lip balm. My cold sore didn't entirely go away, but it never came "out" of my lip. It's been very little trouble to me and isn't visible unless I get right up to the mirror.

Besides being unsightly, cold sores can be incredibly painful. A couple of months ago I got a cold sore and didn't get too it soon enough, so it did become quite big, but the Cold Sore Care Herbal Lip Balm relieved the pain. I love being an herbalist!

Some herbalists have reported a photo-sensitivity when using St. John's Wort. This isn't something I've had a problem with.

I used to be ashamed of getting cold sores. Now I just realize it's one way my body lets me know I've gone too far. Besides applying Cold Sore Care Herbal Lip Balm, I've been taking more breaks, deeper breaths, and drinking some nourishing bone broth soup and infusions. It's nice to get this little warning sign before a cold or flu makes it's way in.

I sell my lip balms (Cold Sore Care, Soothing Lip Balm, and Cottonwood 'N Coconut) at the Saturday Market in Twisp - $3 for one or two for $5. If you are interested in trying some out, drop me an email and I'd love to send some your way.

I've also written about cold sores here.

No comments:

Post a Comment